The Young Researchers’ Award (YRA) is awarded by the SEA-PHN Network in recognition of outstanding achievements and contributions of young nutrition scientists. The 1st Southeast Asia Public Health Nutrition (SEA-PHN) Conference shall be offering two categories of Award, namely oral and poster presentations.
Eligible participants (refer the announcement) are invited to apply for these awards using the prescribed YRA Application Form, indicating the category of award applied. Each applicant may submit only one application. Applications must reach the Conference Secretariat before 3rd April 2017.
Shortlisted applicants for the oral presentation category shall be informed to give a presentation at the Young Researchers’ Symposium on 16th May 2017 (Tuesday). For the poster presentation category, shortlisted participants shall be required to briefly summarise his/her poster to a panel of judges at a dedicated time (which will be notified at a later date).
Winners of the awards shall receive a cash prize:
Oral presentation: USD 500
Poster presentation: USD 300
and a complimentary conference registration
Frequently Asked Questions for Young Researchers’ Award (YRA)
1. What are the required documents for YRA application?
- Completed application form
- Scanned copy of postgraduate degree (e.g. Msc/MMed, PhD, etc)
- Abstract (kindly refer to the Abstract Guideline for the prescribed format)
- Supporting write-up in approximately 500 words, to explain:
- why you should be selected for the Award,
- the significance of your current research in the field of public health nutrition
2. How many categories of YRA are available?
There are two (2) categories of Award, namely oral and poster presentation.
3. Can I submit abstracts for both categories (oral and poster) for YRA?
No, each applicant can only submit one (1) application with one (1) abstract and select either oral or poster presentation.
4. I have more than one abstract, can I submit one abstract for YRA and others for the Free Paper Presentation and Poster Presentation?
Yes, you may. Please note that you must be the first author of the submitted abstract for YRA. Submit abstract(s) for free paper and poster presentation in a separate tab for this purpose.
5. I have submitted an application for YRA (oral), can I still submit the SAME abstract for Free Paper Presentation to maximise my chance for oral presentation?
You do not need to submit the same abstract to the Free Paper Presentation. One abstract is eligible for one oral presentation only – either during YRA symposium or Free Paper Presentation. For YRA applications that are not shortlisted, Organising Committee will consider the abstract for Free Paper Presentation and will send an invitation to the applicant if the abstract is deemed appropriate for presentation.
6. I have submitted an abstract for Oral (Free Paper Presentation)/Poster Presentation, can I still submit the same abstract for consideration in the YRA?
Yes, you can still submit the same abstract for consideration in the YRA. However, you need to inform the Secretariat via email ([email protected]) to withdraw your abstract from the Oral (Free Paper Presentation)/Poster Presentation. For YRA applications that are not shortlisted, Organising Committee will also consider the abstract for Free Paper Presentation/Poster Presentation and will send an invitation to the applicant if the abstract is deemed appropriate for presentation.
7. If my abstract has been previously published in any journal, will my abstract still be accepted for YRA?
If your abstract has been published in a journal, it may be considered for this award. Note that you must be the first author of this publication. However, if this abstract has received a similar award from other conferences, you should not submit this abstract for consideration.
8. How do I know that my application has been received and will be considered?
The secretariat will acknowledge your email within seven (7) working days upon receiving your application. If you do not receive such a notification, kindly follow up by sending an email to [email protected].
9. When do I know if my application is shortlisted?
The secretariat will inform the shortlisted applicants via email by 10th April 2017. Shortlisted applicants for oral presentation award are expected to give a presentation at YRA symposium of the Conference on Tuesday, 16th May 2017. For the poster presentation category, shortlisted participants are to briefly summarise his/her poster to a panel of judges at a dedicated time (which will be notified at a later date). Winners of the Award will be announced during the prize presentation & closing ceremony of the SEA-PHN Conference on Wednesday, 17th May 2017.
10. If my application is rejected, can I appeal against this decision?
No, all decisions of the committee are final. Please note that we do not disclose any comments given by the reviewers on the submitted application.